ACMA proposes updates to LIPD Class Licence
The ACMA is consulting on proposed updates to the Radiocommunications (Low Interference Potential Devices) Class Licence 2015.
The LIPD Class Licence operates in concert with the ACMA’s Radiocommunications (Short Range Devices) Standard 2014.
Under section 8A of the Short Range Devices Standard, if the proposed updates to the LIPD Class Licence are made, the standard for performance for items being updated in the LIPD Class Licence will be those standards listed in the updated LIPD Class Licence for that item.
A transition period of one year from when the LIPD Class Licence is made applies before it is mandatory for a supplier to comply with the standards requirement.
In detail, the proposed updates to the LIPD Class Licence consider:
- updating and expending existing 60 GHz arrangements (57–66 GHz) for data communication systems, including 5G. Specifically:
- adding the 66–71 GHz frequency band
- updating existing arrangements in the 57–66 GHz band regarding indoor and outdoor data communications systems.
- adding new arrangements for ‘all transmitters’ in the 57–64 GHz band
- revising arrangements for underground transmitters in certain bands supporting fixed and mobile services from 70–520 MHz
- adding support for higher power radiodetermination transmitters, ie, radars operating in the 76–77 GHz frequency band
- adding support for ground and wall penetration radar as adjunct to current apparatus licence arrangements (30–12,400 MHz)
- aligning existing arrangements for ultra-wideband devices with US and European arrangements for generic (indoor and handheld) devices (3100–3400 MHz and 8500–9000 MHz) and aircraft applications (6000–8500 MHz).
In addition to the proposed variation, the ACMA invites suggestions from industry and individuals on devices and technologies for possible future updates to be included on the list of transmitters authorised under the LIPD Class.
For more information, see IFC 45/2018 Class licensing updates: Supporting 5G and other technology innovations (18 December 2018, closes 22 February 2019).
ADLINK Technology has named RF Test Solutions as the first authorised distributor of its test and...
Marty Anderson has been appointed Icom's General Manager for Australia, where he has plans to...
Simoco Wireless Solutions has appointed Peter Scarlata as CEO of Simoco Australasia, to be based...