ACA launches Vision 20/20 project
The Australian Communications Authority (ACA) has launched a project to provide strategic insights into the future of communications regulation.
The ACA will be inviting service providers, manufacturers, key consumer groups and other stakeholders to take part in the project.
The aim of the project, called Vision 20/20: The Future Form of Communications Regulation, is to develop:
- scenarios that describe what the communications industry and its environment might be like in the year 2020; and
- strategic options for the future form of regulation, taking into account the current regulatory framework including the:
- long-term interests of end-users; and
- efficiency and international competitiveness of the Australian telecommunications industry.
ACA Acting Chairman Dr Bob Horton said the project would build on current strategic thinking in the industry and anticipated future developments. The project would:
- challenge current assumptions about the future;
- develop new insights about the future in terms of the industry's strategic environment;
- explore options;
- identify the likely future skills base and resource needs of the regulatory environment; and
- provide leadership and vision in thinking about the future.
"Vision 20/20 will have a broad policy and regulatory perspective in recognition of trends in industry and regulatory convergence, together with evolving societal changes in thinking and how it might impact on the future way we behave as an industry," Dr Horton said.
"We are already in the research phase of the project and will hold a series of issues workshops in March and April next year.
"The workshops will provide input for a proposed joint ACA/Australian Communications Industry Summit planned for July next year.
"The ACA will tap into the foremost thinking of corporations and institutions both in Australia and overseas to develop an issues paper by February, ahead of the workshops."
Telstra, Verizon, Vodafone América Móvil, KT Corp and Rogers will collaborate on...
The database covers ways to boost the security, reliability and interoperability of...
The acquisition boosts Mission Critical Partners' ability to modernise wireless...